A Very Odd Use for Source Control
My company is adopting a very strict standard for PC security. (Personal Computer, not political correctness, just to be clear).
It's because we work with a number of customers who require it, and because we sometimes take copies of their data to test problems, so I'm not unaware of why we are doing it, however there are some major downsides to it.
The biggest being we (developers) are not going to have free rein over our computers any more. Most of what we run and install will be managed by our IT department, so - for example - I will not be permitted to install and run dropbox or other filesharing software at will.
And this will extend, to some degree, to computers at home. If the computers are accessing work computers (servers, PCs etc) then there will be restrictions on what they can do. So I am having to uninstall various bits of software from home computers (like onedrive) that shared files directly.
The biggest thing this has done is to make writing fiction at home and at work a bit of a bugger, because it means there's no one place where files are on all three of my computers (my home PC, my work PC and my laptop at home).
So instead I have created a private repository in GitHub where the files are kept, and today I learned how I can upload and download them from there, which means I now have a place that isn't software based and where I can share them across all three computers.
Which is nice.
So I can go back to writing fiction across all three computers, and it means my next project can continue.
Hu - as they say - rrah!
Comments
Post a Comment