The religious right marches on
Kickstarter, it seems, has been taken over by The Religious Right.
It has banned any projects that are sexually explicit, or deal with any illegal sexual acts, or involve projects created for "sexual gratification" or comics, art or photographic projects that are sexually explicit whether they feature real people or not. They have also banned any projects that feature blurred or "black boxed" versions of any of the above (relating to art, photography or comics etc).
The intention is clear - if you want to express yourself in a manner that goes against their morals, you can fuck off somewhere else to do it. They don't want anything impure or immoral on their site.
I have little or no evidence (because I haven't looked for it) that this is the doing of The Religious Right, but who else is it going to be? Who else is going to be this focused on the sexual aspect when it doesn't mention anything else? It hasn't - in this update - banned people writing, painting, drawing comics or art about drug taking or shooting people in the head. It hasn't - in this update - banned people writing, painting, drawing comics or art about other crimes or even (as far as I am aware) terrorist acts or other such things.
No - it focused itself with laser like intensity on sex, sexual acts, sexual pleasure and sexual gratification.
Which to me just stinks of The Religious Right, The Moral Majority and other such illustrious people.
Now I have made it clear in the past I have no objection to people of faith, and even to people of religion. I find those who have something to believe in - something to hold on to - in a world like this to be admirable and to be worthy of respect.
But when they shove their faith, their morals and their virtues down my throat and the throats of others who do not share their faith? That's when I start to have a problem with them.
How many people are going to lose funding for projects? For works of art? For photographic projects? For something that could be the "next big thing" because of this morals clause that kickstarter apparently has decided is the way to go?
How many lives are going to be ruined because they believe they have the right to force their morals onto everyone else?
It's wrong. It's just plain wrong.
Comments
Post a Comment