Sales and Gambling and Shooting (Oh My!)
After receiving a banner add about nearly $500m of bets being made over the Super Bowl tonight - virtual bets, but still bets - I thought I'd give it a shot. So I splashed out some of the company money on $150 each way on the two teams playing.
I realise if my board of directors finds out I will be in trouble, but then I remembered that I don't HAVE a board of directors - I run the company on my own, and I haven't made a profit since I started the company. And yet somehow the company is around $6m in the black. So I think $300 on a random sporting event probably won't break the bank.
(I am either going to make back $248 or $66, so I'll be out around $100 or up around $100 - it's not going to be a regular thing. But It just seemed like something I should try)
The Bazaar plan is going well (for something with a strange name) - I spend the week stocking up via various means (stealing, buying the cheap stuff - the usual ways) and setting the prices at around 50% of the RPI.
Then, on a Saturday night, I open up and advertise I am open. Within around half an hour, I have sold everything. And I know what you're thinking - I am selling everything at a massive loss. I could get so much more if I sold them at RPI or even 95% or 90%
It's true. I could. But I am not selling them at a loss because I don't pay for 90% of my stock (what with the theft) and that stock which I do I generally sell for around 10 or 20 times what I paid for it, even if it is at 50% of the RPI.
My average take away over three weeks have been around $800,000 to $900,000, all profit. I have maybe spent $1000 at most to make all this profit.
So no, I am not making a loss. Not even close.
The reason I sell it so cheap is I want to sell it quick - I don't want to leave the Bazaar open, and have the profits sat around. I need to plough it back into the company after I spend it so it can't be stolen from me.
I've started another cycle, and come this Saturday - maybe (I'm going out with the family so it might be Sunday) - there will be another fun sale. Watch this space.
Work begins again tomorrow, although I might ask Emily about taking the end of the week off. There should be some time. I think, and I haven't had a day off yet this year (and this year so far has been about 200 months long, so I think I am due).
But we will see what happens.
For now I am going to have some tea, after making some tea. Because if I make the tea after I eat it, I am pretty sure something will go awry with the time space continuum.......
Comments
Post a Comment