Oh What A Circus, Oh What A Show
It has been a while, but there has been quite a lot going on, and some of it was not all that good.
However things appear to have calmed down a little, and so I am hopeful I can return to at least a semi-regular posting schedule.
But for now there are the events of today to muse about. Today - which saw something that is supposedly a momentous event that has sent shockwaves around the world and will change the nature of existence as we know it, but quite frankly I am pretty sure is just a puppet show made up for the benefit of the plebs.
The former prince has been arrested and taken into police custody.
This is apparently an earth-shattering event that - as I said - will change the nature of existence in the UK and the rest of the world.
Except it won't. Because I think we are being lied to quite a lot about quite a lot of things.
First - I find it incredibly hard to believe that The King and The Prince weren't informed about this arrest before it happened. If members of the government were informed, it seems almost impossible that the rest of the establishment weren't informed.
Second - even if it comes to the point that The Prince is charged (which could take months, if not years) then I am very sceptical about them sending a 66+ year old man to prison for what is a non-violent crime. And a 66+ year old man who is A Prince of The Realm, a brother of The King, a son of The Former Queen and Uncle to the Future King? No. It's just not going to happen.
They are not going to throw him in Wormwood Scrubs or another nick. He will either get a slap on the wrist, or a fine that he will be able to pay off within weeks, if not days, maybe even using tax-payer money.
Third - the reactions from the public, and from the experts, and from the press, is just insane.
I'd liken it to the death of Diana - everyone is acting like this actually matters. Like this is going to bring down the monarchy and we are emerging into a brand new era.
As I have suggested - The Prince will receive some kind of token punishment for whatever he did, he will express some pretend remorse, we will see (perhaps) some crocodile tears and then everything will be back to the same way it was before all this started.
If I were even more cynical than I am (which would have to be going some) I'd suggest they are using this entire thing - the "misconduct in public office" to distract from the other side of The Prince's problems. If they are seen to be taking action on the misconduct allegations, then they can - perhaps - back off on the other allegations and people will consider them less important.
(By people I mean the public, not necessarily the victims).
Because if he is punished for something, and seen to be punished for something, that will provide vindication in most people's eyes, and they will stop pushing for punishment in other areas.
If - as I said - I were more cynical than I am.
Meanwhile, back in my own little world, I have a performance review tomorrow so that will be fun. Hopefully I should still have a job by this time tomorrow, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Comments
Post a Comment