Smallville, Snap and Snark
I have quite an appallingly bad habit of starting journals on various sites, and then either running out of things to say (because my life is not all that exciting) or running out of things to say (because I tend to do a lot of similar things from day to day) or joining sites that shutdown within a few months.
This is yet another attempt in a long line of attempts to break that trend, and I am hoping that it might come to something.
There are a few reasons, most of which I will come to as I carry on with this. I would tell you them all now, but if I told you them all in one go then I'd run out of things to write and my trend would continue and I'd be done in one day. Which wouldn't be all that impressive, would it?
Currently I have Smallville on in the background - this is one of those shows where I have separated my love of the show from the people in it, because the actions of Allison Mack and Kristin Kreuk (Chloe and Lana) after they left the show were beyond reprehensible (there is nothing to say to defend them) but if I were to start to making absolute moral judgements about everyone who did something bad and subsequently paying attention to art they were involved in (be it TV shows, books, music, films, actual works of art, plays and whatever else you can think of) then I would sit home and do nothing all day, which would get very boring, very quickly).
I started watching it when it came back on to Netflix and am on to Series 8 already. There are parts of it that I remember being better when I was younger (or that were not better but now I am older I realise just how less good they are) but for the most part it's still pretty entertaining.
I've also been entertaining myself with Marvel Snap, although I have stopped taking it all that seriously because I am pretty sure that whatever it claims it's stacked against people who don't pay for cards or other accoutrement. So mostly it's just fun, especially when someone goes out of their way to screw you over and you can turn it around on them. Or force them to retreat after two or three turns.
My other....... projects are building a life-size copy of my office in Minecraft (which has hit a problem because I have misplaced my copy of Minecraft) and trying to get back into the habit of writing again.
Which is where this journal comes in, because I'm hoping that writing here every day or so will get me back into the habit of writing, and that will get me wanting to write stories again. Because back in the day I wrote a lot - I mean really a lot. Usually around half a million words a year.
But then..... well then about 20 months ago something happened that destroyed my life. I know people say that a lot - "Oh it was terrible", "Oh it was awful", "Oh it was the worst thing that ever happened"
And sure, I am all for engaging in hyperbole and being melodramatic when the situation calls for it.
But this time, yeah - no hyperbole. No melodrama.
It destroyed my entire life, to the point that even now, two years later I am still getting back to what could be classed as normal - what I refer to as coming out of the corner. Coming out of the shadows and into the light.
One of the minor side effects was that I lost the will, the desire, the urge to write the type of stories I'd been writing. And even now I think the will, desire and urge to write is..... sometimes lacking. Because - and I know this will sound odd - I know how the stories will end so telling them is kind of pointless.
Which is, as I said, where this comes in. If I can write here, and get used to writing here, then maybe it will get me used to writing and telling stories and wanting to tell stories.
But, for now, I will stay here and tell you about my life. Such as it is.
Disclaimer - I'm not going to use real names on this journal. I have far more sense than that. But, as far as is within reason, I will always tell you the truth. If I am making stuff up, I will tell you that as well.
Comments
Post a Comment